Friday, March 5, 2010

The Arizona desert

As we have been here in Arizona we have watched the desert slowly come to life. It has been geting greener every day. The plant life is very different so I am going to share some pictures that I have taken. Most of these are at least 4 foot high except for the Seguero... the picture with John trying to look like the cactus. That one had to be at least 20 feet tall.
The flat one is called a prickly pear cac tus and the animals and people actually eat it. I had some prickly pear jelly... and it wasn't half bad.

Before we leave Arizona, I am going to purchase a book of all the cactus and I want to have a small cactus dish garden to take with me on my travels.






Although this looks like a bush it is actually a cactus. It is about 6 feet tall and has a very small leaf on it.
These are the most recent pictures where they are starting to bloom.... yes cactus get flowers on them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cacti are one of the few plants I can grow. They don't seem to mind that I have trouble remembering to water them ;)