Sunday, November 14, 2010

Jurassic Park

Do you remember the movie Jurassic Park, with the dinosaurs? Do you remember those smaller evil critters that hunted in packs and communicated with each other with that clacking sound? Well that is what we hear, off and on throughout the day. The makers of the movie had to find a sound for the dinosaurs..... having no auditory record of the sounds they actually made. Well they choose the sounds of the Sandhill Crane. When the cranes start vocalizing to one another, I immediately thing of dinosaurs. I wish I knew how to add sounds to this blog so you could hear them. Don't get me wrong, it's not continual or annoying, it's just that my mind goes to "danger", without thinking. I told John that I will forever refer to this place as Jurassic Park.
I came across one of the gopher tortoises out and about and was able to get a few pictures. Here is a shot of his burrow. They are scattered throughout the park.
And here he/she is. Notice the dirt/dust on the shell. It was just meandering around eating grass/plants. It would go into it's shell whenever I got too close but it would come right back out and continue on it's way within a minute.


I took a picture of it next to my foot so you can get some perspective of it's size. I am told this is a young one and that they can grow to be pretty large. Most of the burrows I have seen are about the size of this one's. I have counted about 9 burrows so far but this is the only inhabitant I have caught outside.

Yesterday, Millie and Ray took us on a tour of the area. They have been coming to Clermont for about 5 years now. They gave us the insiders perspective and some helpful hints. Of course, knowing John, they showed us the location of the local flea market. John being John, we had to stop right away....  he bought another hat.

Today is football Sunday so he is parked in front of the TV. I will probably do some laundry and clean up. I am making New England Boiled Dinner for all of us tonight. Ham, potatoes and green beans. I'll cook it here, but we will take our pot over to Millie's since their coach is larger and we can be more comfortable. Another couple that they know will be joining us also. YEAH, MORE NEW FRIENDS !!!!

No comments: