Monday, April 18, 2011

Hanging Out

Did I happen to mention the sirens, last time I wrote? If I remember nothing else, I will remember Vegas and sirens. I wake up to sirens, I go to sleep with sirens and during the day, I hear more sirens. No wonder the first CSI TV program was centered in Las Vegas.
Last week we took a trip 5 miles west of Vegas to the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. Since it is a national site we used our senior access pass with no cost. (The pass has paid for itself...it only cost $10.00... many times over already) I urge everyone to get one when they turn 62. Even if you don't RV, it will save you money at many national sites, museums and the like. Anyway back to the canyon. It was breathtaking! It is part of the Moave Desert. The rock formations were really different. Some of them looked like sculpted sand dunes. Here are some pics.

Here is a guy we ran across while he was out looking for a meal. They are protected here. He was quite large but friendly.

We packed a picnic lunch and made a day of it. There are many miles of hiking trails. John wasn't able to walk most of them, so he sat and waited while I went exploring.

It is also a favorite spot for climbers. I thought of Vera while I watched this guy come down.
A few days ago we went to the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead (formed by the dam). John thought it would be "bigger". I must admit I was a little disappointed also, but for a different reason. It was a place for people to part with their money. $7.00 to park, $10.00 (each) for the basic tour and $18.00 for the 3 building tour. You even had to pay to get into the visitor center. The only thing free to enter was the gift shop. Our senior passes weren't any good there since it isn't a federal site. We paid to park but did the rest on our own. Pics...





Time for grandson pictures.... Uncle Ethan came for a visit. Lukas looks excited..



I think Ray is taking this question thing much too seriously.... he emailed his answer and when I didn't respond the same day he called me to see if he was right. Both Ray and Helen got it right. Dale Chihuly did the ceiling at the Bellagio. No question this posting but I'll think of a doozy for the next one.



No comments: