Saturday, December 10, 2011

Peace River...Wauchula

Before I forget again, I must tell you about John's recent purchase. While in Orlando, I told you about the Monday Flea Market journeys we made to Webster. Well, I forgot to tell you about John's purchase..... a carrier. Yes, a carrier for a scooter, motorbike or cycle. The fact that we don't have one with us did not deter his determination to acquire it. "What if we find exactly what I want.... I wouldn't have a way to get it home!" So from here on in we are sporting a carrier on the back of the jeep. Here it is off the jeep because he had to paint it while we were here. I had to help him lift it to put it back on the Jeep and it weighs a ton.


Okay, now that I have that off  my chest.....  on to the Peaceful River. This is the first time in this area for us, and we both really like it. I should have booked more time here.... if I had only known. Here is a picture of the peaceful Peace River that flows right through the resort.


There are a few signs however that could give you pause before heading down the nature trail..... but they didn't deter me and Syd on our morning walks.


We saw turtles, cranes, herons, turkey buzzards but no alligators or snakes. We met such nice people here.... Irma, Bill, Patty, Dennis who stay here all winter. We saw Steve and Betty Ball again, they followed us from Orlando. Not really.... they stopped here on their way to spend the winter in the keys.
John and I visited Solomon's Castle a short distance toward the coast. Harold Solomon is an artist that bought a piece of property and built a "castle" from things thrown out by others. He recycles junk into art and part of his castle is a studio showing his pieces. He also built a "Noah's Ark" type boat in the moat around his castle. The boat is a restaurant. Mr Solomon was in his studio when we visited and we had a nice talk. Here are some castle and boat pictures.



Florida is the winter home of more than just snow/ sun birds. The Lippizon Stallions train nearby and the public is asked to come to the trainings to provide "real life" conditions for the horses. So today we sat and clapped and hollered for 2 hours watching these big beautiful horses perform. We were able to go into the barns and pet them. We also roamed the farm and saw the females used for breeding. What a neat thing.




They are born brown or black and don't turn completely white until they are 7 years old. The more dark colors... the younger they are. They are so powerfully built and they are all stallions. There were a few times when 2 of them were ready to go at each other. The handlers.... all females, by the way..... work very hard at maintaining decorum between the horses during the performances.
As powerful and head strong as they are, they are well trained. Here are the next generation of Herrmanns.... owners/operators of the stallion business. They are 2 and 3 years old.


I hope we plan another visit here as there is much more to see.... but we are due in Texas in a few days, so tomorrow we hit the road again.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew you would like Peace River. Ray and I enjoyed our stay there too but have not gone back because we worked. I hope not to work in Fl. next winter so maybe we can go back. Thrilled to see you made it to the Lippizon's. Geezz something just caught my eye out the front window. A family of bob cats just walked across the road 50 feet in front of us. Happy Trails. See u in TX. soon No cell phone service here on the new gate.LV, MIL

Anonymous said...

I walk around the campgrounds and notice the females used for breeding really neat. Ray