Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Q....... the rest of the story.

I am so far behind in writing...... I feel like I'm back in school and I've put off an assignment until the night before it's due. Boy that's going way back. Hold on, I've got a lot to say.
While in Quartzsite, we attended a concert by Paul Winer, the owner of the infamous book store. In a previous life he was a performer known as "Sweet Pea"..... a nude piano player. After nearly dying of alcohol and drugs he dried out and moved to Quartzsite and started selling used books his mother had bought at yard sales. He now has a fairly large store that is a stop for everyone who goes to Quartzsite........ mostly because of his attire (or lack of it). Once a year he performs to raise money for the city. Here is a picture of Paul at the store.

For the concert he wore clothes, joking that it's the only time he dresses. It was really good and he made us laugh at ourselves with his snowbird and RVer observations.

Since John and Wendy Dreese didn't join Ray's Strays this year, we went shopping and found a motor home for them. Think they'll like it?

I've been trying to convince Sydney that he is no longer a search dog but he doesn't think he is old enough to retire yet. He is always trying to follow scents....  rabbits especially. One day while on our morning walk, he practically drug me along a wash following what I thought was a rabbit or coyote trail. Lo and behold he stoped at a small black case lying in the sand. I picked it up and there was a cell phone in it. Back at the RV, I called one of the ICE numbers and spoke to the owners wife. He lost it bike riding in the desert 3 days previous. He was one happy man when he picked up the phone and didn't quite believe that my dog led me to it.

We learned of an area between Parker and Quartzsite where there are sand dunes for off roading.... so we were off. We found a neat little valley just starting to green up, but the sand dunes were fun.


After 3 weeks, we said Goodbye to Sherri, Mike and Jackson who headed off to Phoenix to visit family. The rest of us left for Parker AZ and the Parker 425 Best in the Desert Baja Race.



No comments: