Friday, March 11, 2011

Gypsy Journal Rally

From Quartzite we traveled to Yuma Arizona for the Gypsy Journal Rally at the Yuma fairgrounds. I thought we would at least have electricity but the service was only 15 amps.... enough to recharge our batteries. So it's still like dry camping... no water or sewer service and minimal power. Can you tell I'm about ready for a campground?
The rally was nice. A lot of what was presented we had either learned before or experienced first hand. There were more fun things this year though. I attended a course on Swedish Weaving.... I have been hooked on a new craft. My first project is a pair of place mats.... I'll show them when completed. I also have 2 more projects in mind.... one of them for Lukas.
John had an RV expert go over our new coach with him. I'm not sure he learned all that much but it made him feel a little better..... I think. We experience a slight pulsing in our lights when we first start to use the generator. I thought it must be a loose connection or belt because it doesn't sustain a constant flow of electricity for a while when we turn it on. The "expert" thought it was the inverter and offered to sell us one for $1600.00 +. That was a thanks, but no thanks for now.
Here is a picture of the pizza party held one night. There were at least 250 rigs... usually 2 people per rig.... at the event.
The night before the end of the rally, they held a fundraising event for the Escapees Care Center. It is called the Cactus Queen Beauty Contest. 9 volunteers get dressed up and compete for the Beauty Crown and bragging rights until the following year. Did I mention that it is the MEN who get dressed like women and compete? I laughed until tears rolled down my cheeks. Not only did they dress like women they had stories about themselves about why they should be the Queen. Here is a picture of some of the contestants.



And the winner was....


Maybe I can talk John into competing next year.....  what do you think the chances are?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He would have the best hat!!! Go for it John. Maybe we could get your friend Ray to sit along side you. Or you could go as TWINS.