Saturday, March 26, 2011

Lakeside....AHHHHHH

We are currently beside Lake Havasu in Arizona. It is mid-state next to the California border. As a matter of fact one side of the lake is Arizona the other California. At the end of the lake is the city but most of the lake side is either, state, federal or Indian land. It is prohibited to build within so many yards of the waters edge. I don't know the exact amount but there is nothing within a quarter of a mile of the edge except boat launches, beaches and miniature lighthouses. First the topography..

This is how close to the water we are parked. Pictures just don't do it justice. I know I've said that frequently but it's true. We are dry camping of course... no services.
The lake is huge...man-made... don't know how big. I believe I mentioned before that there was a TV program about this lake ..... popular spot for spring break. Kids party on houseboats and around the lake. Here is a picture of a houseboat moored in one of the many coves. No-one is occupying it at the moment.


I have proof that I actually went into the water. Here are my feet immersed in Lake Havasu ... see how clear the water is.
It was also COLD... fed by the snow melt in Colorado.
I mentioned the lighthouses.. all around the lake are a series of miniature lighthouses. They are replicas of actual ones on the Atlantic & Pacific coasts as well as the great lakes. Here is an example of one.

This is from Thunder Bay in Alpena Michigan. It was originally made of wood but after a fire was rebuilt out of metal. It has a nick name in Michigan... can you guess what it is. Here's a hint... a Russian space vehicle from a long time ago. E-mail or use the comment section to send me your guesses. Why should I do all the work on this blog???
We also have visitors here on a regular basis... wildlife. We listen to the coyotes at night. Here is a male Quail that came by for some bird seed that spilled on the ground.

Isn't he cute with his little feather hat? There are many of these creatures around and they scurry from bush to bush trying to stay out of the heat.
Now here is another quiz. What is this creature? Same thing.... email or use the comment section. A hint... think cartoon character. I kinda like making you guys do some homework for a change.

No comments: